Polytechnic courses are well known to offer students an advanced learning experience. Also referred to as a diploma in engineering, the degree provides technical and vocational courses to students. Some of the best-known Polytechnic Institutes in India offer several diploma courses under one roof. Additionally, the program is best for those students who are willing to get a job at an early stage in life. Nowadays, most colleges offer some of the best diploma courses with good placement opportunities.
Our country has some of the most renowned government and privately-owned colleges that offer the best diploma courses. These courses allow students to study in the field that interests them. Students can enroll in such courses right after passing class 10th and 12th.
For students interested in the engineering field and who want to come into the profession of engineering, this course is undoubtedly one of the best. As a matter of fact, the students who acquire a Polytechnic degree are also called junior engineers.
Eligibility to Enroll in a Polytechnic Diploma Courses
To get admission into a polytechnic course, the minimum required qualification is to pass the 10th standard with a minimum of 35% in Science and Maths. However, the state board of technical education holds entrance tests for admissions to diploma programs in many states of India. After completing the diploma course, the candidate can appear for LET (Lateral Entry Test) for admission in B.Tech/B.E programs. Students who have passed 12th are also eligible for these courses.
Although every college also has its own set of eligibility criteria that students need to fulfill. Below mentioned are the general eligibility criteria for getting admission to a polytechnic college:
- An individual who has cleared his or her 10th board examination
- Individuals who have passed class 12th
- Passing marks in Science and Mathematics
- Above all, an individual should be a pass out from a recognized board of education with passing marks
Following is the course duration of Polytechnic programs
Generally, the duration of maximum polytechnic courses ranges between 2-3 years. This course is however done after completing class 10th. After completing a polytechnic course, one can apply for B.E/BTech courses, which students generally do after 12th and is four years long. But if an individual takes admission in any of the engineering courses after diploma, then they are eligible to directly get admission into the second year of the course.
Now let us have a detailed look at the different Polytechnic Diploma Courses:
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering: This particular course is three years long and deals with mechanical engineering. The program covers topics that include working of the machine, the theory of machine, thermodynamics, manufacturing operations, maintenance of mechanical systems, physics, engineering graphics, etc. Notably, the course consists of 6 semesters. Eventually, the student’s progress is monitored semester-wise. The same is monitored via two Internal Sessional Exams and one End Semester Exam conducted by the Board of Technical Education.
After completion of the course, candidates may furthermore use lateral entry and pursue B.E. Mechanical Engineering or B.Tech Mechanical Engineering.
Diploma in Civil Engineering
Polytechnic in Civil Engineering is again a 3-year academic course. Certainly, it is one of the best polytechnic courses to pursue. It mainly deals with concepts such as planning and construction, the strength of materials, physical structures such as buildings, dams, bridges, etc. With quickly growing infrastructure developments all around, Civil Engineers are in much higher demand than ever before. Additionally, the diploma holders of the Civil Engineering course can make building plans, devise solutions for building materials, and work onsite as an assistant to the supervisor and site manager. Above all, students in this course are taught various skills and learning, which makes them proficient at what they do.
Finally, after completing this diploma course, an individual can opt for lateral entry into regular B. Tech Civil Engineering.
Diploma in Electrical Engineering
The diploma in Electrical Engineering is a three-year-long course. It largely deals with elements that include the generation and transmission of electricity, electric circuits, transformers, etc. After the completion of this course, Electrical Engineers may pursue a Master’s Degree in fields including CS, EC, Large Scale Integrated Circuits, among many more. Additionally, candidates may even use lateral entry and pursue B.Tech in Electrical Engineering.
Diploma in Computer Science Engineering
This 3-year long course deals with the concepts of computer hardware, software, and programming. Moreover, students may pursue B.Tech in Computer Science Engineering after the completion of this course.
Diploma in Chemical Engineering
Diploma in Chemical Engineering is a 3-year long course. It generally teaches the concepts of manufacturing chemicals, different chemical plants, operation principles in chemical engineering, and chemical technology.
Diploma in Electronics & Communication Engineering
The 3-year long program aims at offering knowledge about the concepts of networking, communication systems, and electromagnetic waves, among other essential topics. However, one can even pursue B.Tech in Electronics and Communication Engineering after finishing this course.
Furthermore, there are several other Polytechnic Diploma Courses that a student may pursue.
- A Diploma in Textile Engineering
- A Diploma in Automobile Engineering
- Diploma in Mining Engineering
- A Diploma in Aerospace Engineering
- Diploma in Environmental Engineering
- A Diploma in Motorsport Engineering
- Diploma in Metallurgy Engineering
- Diploma in Food Processing and Technology
- A Diploma in Agriculture Engineering
- Diploma in IT Engineering
- A Diploma in Instrumentation and Control Engineering
- Diploma in Plastic Technology
- A Diploma in Biotechnology Engineering
- Diploma in Genetics Engineering
- A Diploma in Petroleum Engineering
- Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering
- Diploma in Production Engineering
- A Diploma in Infrastructure Engineering
- Diploma in Power Engineering
- Diploma in Dairy Technology and Engineering
- A Diploma in Electronics and Telecom Engineering
Let us check out the following career options that a student may pursue after graduating from a Polytechnic course.
- Students can do Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) via Lateral Entry Entrance Test (Diploma to Degree)
- They can even opt for various other vocational courses
- Additionally, an individual may even start with his or her business after completing the best diploma course
- Lastly, candidates have various other jobs opportunities available in both government and private sectors.
There are numerous career opportunities available for students who have completed their education from the best polytechnic courses. Because of the in-depth teaching and training, students receive thorough knowledge about their polytechnic program core subjects and their technicalities. Moreover, students in a polytechnic course are taught all the general and basic concepts of engineering. And this gives them clarity about the topic and various ways to implement them when they step into their professional lives. Several companies hire students who have completed their polytechnic course without working them to join B.Tech course.
Some of the renowned government and private sector companies that hire diploma/polytechnic holders are:
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL)
- Indian Petro Chemicals Limited (IPCL)
- Indian Railways
- Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO)
- Gas Authority of India Ltd. (GAIL)
- Indian Army
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
- Public Work Departments
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC)
- Infrastructure Development Agencies
- Irrigation Departments
- National Sample Survey Organization (NSSO)