Every industry needs a specialised set of skills and therefore even the agriculture sector demands skilful employees. Both hard skills and soft skills are required to stand out from others in the industry; be it an interview or in the workplace. If an individual plan to make a career in the agriculture sector after pursuing his/her degree from the Best B.Sc Agriculture College in Dehradun, the same can be broken down into various different job types, as there are several elements to the agricultural industry. It means that the key aspects of agricultural jobs can vary from technology-based to management, and also manual labour. While every division of the agricultural industry will have determined key skills that are necessary to move forward, as with most industries there is a substantial foundation that an individual will require if they are wanting to progress up in their career.
Below highlighted are 5 notable skills that all professionals in the agriculture sector must possess for their continued success.
1. Technology-based skills: Technology plays an important role in today’s scenario. Students of the Best B.Sc Agriculture College in Uttarakhand wanting to establish their career in Agriculture need to have knowledge about agro-technology. This includes acquiring tech-based skills on things such as irrigation, use of pesticide, improving methods and techniques of cultivation, harvest, storage and transport. This also refers to embracing technological development by agriculture professionals. Individuals interested in this sector need to gain knowledge and skills of what new technologies may offer and determine whether adopting new techniques, instruments and advancements are beneficial in their career.
2. Versatility: This is one of the principle key skills that is mainly useful for individuals to develop whichever aspect of agricultural work they wish to work in. One requires to gain an enormous amount of learning when wanting to make a career in the agriculture sector. A graduate of the Best B.Sc Agriculture College in India is expected to be able to think quickly, analyse a situation, and interpret what they have learned so it can best be applied to the situation that they are facing. The business of agriculture keeps on changing. Whether its change in demand from consumers, continuously changing legislation, or the unforeseeable nature of the weather, an individual is going to have to be able to think promptly and adapt to new situations easily. If one aims to have a successful agricultural career, having the skill of being versatile is very much required and looked for.
3. Time management and Organisation skills: Time management is that skill which an individual develops right from his/her school days. Having good time management and organisation skills makes an individual a good asset for an agriculture-based industry. For pass outs of the Best B.Sc Agriculture College in Dehradun who are willing to work in logistics, organisation skills are indispensable for them. Such individuals are assigned with the duty of ensuring that raw materials are properly transported, stored and delivered from the producer to wholesaler, to the consumer. Therefore, strong organisational skills act as a powerful determining factor in one’s success in this industry. Time management and organisation are also important for those individuals who wish to become labourers, farmers, and machine operators. With most of the agricultural-based products being dependent on the seasons, an individual is required to consider certain things like the appropriate weather conditions to ensure that they can both meet consumer demands as well as sustain their businesses during the offseason.
4. Managing Data: In the present scenarios, there is a growing demand for people on farms who are technology-friendly and are also able to understand the massive data that is being produced on a daily basis. On the management side, the sheer amount of data produced needs proper analysing and implementation. Likewise, interested individuals of the Best B.Sc Agriculture College in Uttarakhand willing to become agronomists and nutritionists will also have to be able to interpret information. In the agriculture business, there is a demand for people in sales roles who can explain different forms of new technology including agronomy, animal health and nutrition, software, electronic and mechanical engineering. Thus the need of having better communication skills who are effective at building relationships is really very important in the agriculture industry.
5. Adaptability: An individual belonging to an agriculture sector is expected to show his/her adaptability skills. This is one skill that is transferable from one place or industry to another. An individual is expected to be able to apply what they have learned in the classroom of the Best B.Sc Agriculture College in India to real-life situations on the field. This is crucial because that will help in differentiating between a successful and a failed crop. The skill of adaptability is also important. The things in this field are also constantly changing as to how things are done in agriculture, and what consumers are really wanting.